4.26.2017

Journal, October 7, 1976 PM

No word from Juan Coward {Peace Corps Costa Rica Agriculture Program Director} yet about the job in Peace Corps Costa Rica. I think I’ll send him a telegram if I don’t get anything tomorrow.

I got one letter from Costa Rica though, from Miss Pilar Campos, so sweet, so sweet. She acts so naïve, almost dumb, but she was shrewd enough to get herself a big tough guy named Jaime Olson to look out for her! <She’s heard that I’m going to spend a year in Peace Corps Costa Rica, and that Sofia & I are going to be engaged in November.> I’m sure all of San Antonio has found out when exactly we’ll be married as well. They can be counted on in such matters! I only hope someone tells me.

I even ran out of busy-work at the office today. I read 2 or 3 Cantos from Dante’s “Inferno” and borrowed a newspaper to pass time. The “Inferno” is another one of those books I wish I’d read a long time ago. To think of the time I wasted reading “Rin-Tin-Tin”, “Danny Dunn and the Antigravity Paint” and “O’Reilly of Notre Dame”. <All I can do is resolve to better direct my kids’ education (and maybe Sofia’s to some extent).>

I have finally been called upon to explain my San Isidro study of potential candidates for the relocation of minifundios {small farmers} with less than the legal size lots. A guy from ISTA {Instituto Salvadoreño de Transformación Agraria or Salvadoran Institute for Agricultural Transformation} came by this afternoon and I am going over there tomorrow morning to discuss my study and my experiences in the San Juan - San Isidro area with people who are to be in charge of the long awaited relocation. The guy I talked to today liked the idea of giving the candidate more land if it was poorer quality land. I’ll be interested to see what the rest are interested in.

No comments:

Post a Comment