7.02.2017

Journal, January 18, 1977 PM

This morning I read a good article on world agriculture (ag.) development in the September 1976 “Scientific American.” They say what informed people in the El Salvador ag. development sector were saying, that the third world countries must stress ag. development and development in the direction of maximum yields of grain crops per land unit and intensive use of labor. “Scientific American” was guardedly optimistic that properly directed ag. development can keep food supplies somewhere near demand. They didn’t use the term “redistribution of wealth,” but clearly recommended it, calling for increasing incomes of small farmers.

They cited the relatively short time that the experts have been aware of the “right” way to attack the food problem, and dramatically increased funding of ag. research applicable to third world conditions as reasons for optimism.

<Sofia was so very good & beautiful last evening that it left me half spaced out most of the time.> I found myself completely absorbed just watching her in action. What a very special lady! I hope I can please her as much as she does me.

She is very competent and clearly fully capable of doing just about anything she sets her mind to all by herself. Yet she tries so very hard to please me that I have trouble believing it. What euphoria!

What worries me now is that I’m in danger of being so happy in my private life that I will find no inspiration, no initiative, to be creative, be it in science, literature . . . It is said that discontented men have accomplished the great works of genius (Dante being an oft-cited example).

I sincerely hope that the inherently tragic nature of a human life will be sufficient to spur me (i.e. You can’t get out of it alive!). If I’m destined to be a lackey, I wish to be a very competent and well-informed one.

No comments:

Post a Comment