8.29.2014

Letter, December 11, 1974

Dear Donna,

Sorry to hear about your car accident, and your knee and all. I’ve always marveled at the fact that no one in our family had ever been involved in one. Now I guess I can stop marveling. I hope your leg will be O.K. A cast from the ankle to the thigh must be a real pain in the ass to wear!!

Sorry to hear about Dave Stieber also. Please be sure someone writes to tell me how he is. It must have been pretty bad if they had to cut him out of the car!

I sure wish you hadn’t told me about Thanksgiving. I get stomach pains just thinking about all that delicious food! The diet down here is adequate but very monotonous (& high in starches). I don’t think I’ll ever want to see beans, rice, white cheese or tortillas again after I get back!

Glad to hear that school is going well. I thought it might be hard for you to go to school again after being away a couple years. It’s easy to get out of the habit!

Tell Tom I hope he gets a deer for all his persistence. I never had the patience to hunt long enough to really have a chance. Hope he doesn’t give up.

Since you asked about Christmas here, I can tell you what I know. They call it the Navidad here and the celebration is very similar to that in the United States. They have Santa Claus and the stores have big sales campaigns which start before Thanksgiving. There are artificial Christmas trees in many stores & public buildings in San Salvador. I don’t know how similar the celebration is outside the major cities. I think it is probably more religious and less extravagant than in the States.

I sent out a Christmas card to the family today in which I think I wrote about my getting knocked out and getting my first case of diarrhea. I am over all of it now and back to normal physically.

Am going to try and send home another roll of film after I take 2 more pictures. I have pictures of the San Salvador volcano and of my town, Atiocoyo, so far. Hope you are in good spirits in spite of your leg!

Merry Christmas,

Dean

No comments:

Post a Comment